Who I am...

A mom who is trying to inspire creativity in her children, provide fun and nutritious meals that are out of the ordinary extraordinary, creating minimal waste and maximum taste in a little tiny space

WHAT TO EXPECT . . .

just a little offshoot of my main blog to showcase our bento lunches and the bentos of others that I find especially remarkable or extremely tasty

Wow, I am actually blogging about yesterday!

And tomorrow I should have time to post about today, rather than being a week behind! Its a shocker!

Yesterday I got to try out leftover rice from my brand new rice cooker! I made my first ever batch of fried rice, and it was yummy! Normally I cannot stand fried rice, and I will almost always get steamed rice at a restaurant because fried rice is always too salty and just gross. We had about 2 cups of leftover basmati rice, so I whisked an egg and tossed it into the wok with a tablespoon of olive oil, whisked it to cook it, then threw in the rice and a bit more oil into the wok. I added a tablespoon or so of soy sauce, a dash of ground ginger, a dash of salt and pepper, and a handfull of frozen mixed veggies, and just heated it all up. Yum. The girls each had a bit in their bentos, and all of them ate it and loved it! I had a cup full in my Mr. Bento, and it was hot and tasty at lunch time. I am committed to actually making extra rice at night and making fried rice from leftovers :)

Weekly Bento

Kevin and I also had leftover homemade sweet and sour chicken with the same mixed veggies, peppers, and pineapple. Oh my goodness, I never realized how easy it is to make sweet and sour sauce! Why did I ever pay for bottled sauce?! Everyone gobbled it up the night before, and so I only had enough for Kevin and myself. I love my Mr. Bento knock-off. Hot food without microwaving it later! I forgot to take a picture but I will next time. I got my knock-off from the Asian market for $20 and it works GREAT! Kevin always puts his lunch in the fridge at work, so its not as big of a deal for him to reheat it later, but there is only one tiny microwave at co-op, and its always busy, so if I don't have to reheat my lunch, I have lots more time to actually eat my lunch. Kev and I also had cheese cubes, a cherry chip cupcake, lil smokies and ritz crackers.

weekly bento

The girls had noodles with parmesan cheese, frozen mixed veggies, lil smokies, ritz crackers, a cherry chip cupcake (leftover from my failed attempt to make cupcakes for Melody's birthday), and cheese cubes. They also had a fruit cup for snack, and mango nectar to drink. They probably could have used a bit more protein, but we were out of tofu. Liberty doesn't like the lil smokies so she wouldn't eat them, but everyone else ate everything. Oh, and Liberty doesn't like mango nectar. I need to get more apple juice from the store, it freezes well and they all like it.

weekly bento

Overall, tasty food, filling, and no real complaints :) Sorry for the not so great photos this week, it was late and I was in a hurry!

0 comments:

Post a Comment